Notes from the future: Wow, again this is an old post but future me is thinking, ‘That’s all I did? Just replaced the pads and discs and went racing?’
Running concurrently with the suspension strip down are the brakes.
So far I have…
Front – Replaced the front discs. Here is a before ‘n’ after, look at the state of them before… [Sorry, picture is missing I still have these discs kicking around the garage, they looked something like this so that’ll have to do…]
You may notice some cross drilling on the new discs, this is because it says ‘allowed’ in the regulations and cooler brakes should be a good thing.
I’ve also replaced the calipers for standard (all that’s allowed – no four pot conversions in class A, I’m afraid) recon units (see pic.) and fitted new PTFE braided hoses. I also stuck in some Kevlar (EBC Green Stuff, I believe) pads, again ‘for now’ I’ll have to see how all this works in testing…
Rear – Not much you can do really. Replace the hoses for braided ones, overhaul the pistons, fit new pads. I’m considering new drums – but I’ll have to see. And paint the drums in heat resistant matt black paint.
02/09/01 – All done, thanks to the fact that I bought them ready done.
Top Brake Tips –
1.When bleeding the braking system ensure that both the front calipers are fitted to the car and have pads in. Not, sitting on top of the wishbones waiting to be bolted on. This prevents covering your driveway in brake fluid and blowing the pistons out, which is considered a pain by some. (Thanks to Toby for helping me test this tip)